Monday 5 May 2014

Seedlings and babies!

Well to say the last two weeks have been hectic is an understatement with my son, Noah being born on the 26th April at 8pm. However, with his birth also came 2 weeks off of work with paternity leave and
the weather has been OK so I have managed to do quite a bit in the garden.

First off is to give an update on the blue tits I have nesting in the office nest box. She has laid 9 eggs in total and began incubating them on the 3/5/14 so in around 2 weeks we should expect chicks.


On the gardening front I have had to replant my sweet pea as although they germinated the seedlings were pale and weak. The new lot have come up really well so fingers crossed I have some good flowers.

The veg is all doing well, the runner & french beans have come up really well and are ready for planting out next weekend, so they are currently being hardend off during the day along with the sunflowers and pumpkins.

I have done a bit more on the veg patch too with the been row, pea wigwam and cloche all out. 



The raised bed has the builders fencing around it to stop the local cats from using it as a litter box. 

In here I have spring onions and leeks.

Leeks

Spring onions

In the cloche I've planted out my savoy cabbages and brussel sprouts.

Brussel sprouts


Savoy cabbages.

Finally I also had chance to plant my asparagus crowns I started my digging a trench and as my soil is quite clayey I dug in some well rotted manure and some grit. 



I then created 2 ridges within the trench and placed my asparagus crowns along the ridge.


I then back filled the trench and in 2 years I'll be able to harvest my very own asparagus. 



No comments:

Post a Comment